Regional Crown Prosecutor Lynall Doerksen says the charges heard in Cranbrook Provincial Court on June 11 against Randall Hopley were unrelated to the abduction of three-year-old Kienan Hebert.
The charges of break and enter and commit an indictable offense and possession of stolen property over $5,000 have been waived in from Alberta at the request of local crown counsel.
Hopley was originally scheduled to undergo a preliminary hearing in Lethbridge on March 23, but that hearing was cancelled in February to move the charges to Cranbrook.
Doerksen said the charges are new to the Cranbrook courts, but they have been in the Alberta court system for quite some time. They relate to a May 2010 break and enter in the Crowsnest Pass area.
Hopley was out on bail on the May 2010 charges at the time of his arrest for the abduction of Kienan.
In 2010, a Calgary family returned to their rural property to discover Hopley had moved into their empty cabin. The locks had been changed, furniture had been moved in and water and power had been hooked up.
RCMP officers arrested Hopley as he tried to flee the scene after the family phoned police. During an investigation, officers discovered stolen property including a camper, quad, car batteries, generators and other heavy-duty equipment. Inside there were computers, sexual paraphernalia and children's movies, diapers and clothes.
Before the May 2010 squatting incident, Hopley pleaded guilty in 2007 to another break and enter and received an 18-month jail sentence. Charges of unlawful confinement and attempted abduction were stayed, even though Hopley admitted at the trial that he had attempted to take a 10-year-old boy. A search of Hopley's home turned up pictures of the boy, his medication, a suitcase of children's clothing and some pull-up diapers.
In 2006, Hopley was also handed a nine-month conditional sentence for a break-and-enter conviction in Sparwood.
With files from the Canadian Press