About a dozen staff members of the Earl’s Restaurant on Summit Road had a bit of a scare Sunday morning when the business began filling up with smoke.
The mysterious fumes started building up at around 11:15 a.m. and when a maintenance man couldn’t find the source of the fumes, he called Kamloops Fire Rescue.
Three trucks responded and firefighters began the task of trying to find a possible fire.
Some of the roof’s tiles were removed as other crew members inspected the interior.
Within an hour, the firefighters had determined the source to be a pizza oven chimney.
For an undetermined reason, instead of rising through the vent to the exterior, smoke billowed through the restaurant, said manager Mark Connelly.
He decided to shut down the pizza oven and go about business as usual.
Only two patrons were in the business at the time and had been in the process of paying their bill, said Connelly, so other than the sight of emergency vehicles, the event went largely unnoticed.