Some familiar names in the building industry took top honours at the Canadian Home Builders' Association Central Interior Home Builder Awards during Saturday's black-tie gala at the Delta Sun Peaks.
The Canadian Home Builders' Association Central Interior Home Builder Awards of Excellence, otherwise known as the Keystone Awards, were established to recognize excellence in the home-building sector in Kamloops and Thompson-Nicola Regional District.
Awards were handed out in 27 categories, including for home construction and renovation as well as in marketing, sales, efficiency, landscape design and excellence in subtrades.
For the second year in a row, Casol Designs Ltd. was named best single detached home, but this time in a different category - under 1,500 square feet.
"I think it's just a nicely done eye-popping home for the size of it," said Sandra Casol of the McCurrach residence. "It's just a pretty home."
The energy efficient aspects of the structure also didn't hurt, she said. Its low thermal emissivity glass improves insulation. Its heat recovery ventilation system provides fresh air and improved climate control, while also saving energy by reducing heating and cooling requirements. And low-flow plumbing fixtures, including toilets, faucet aerators and showerheads, save substantial amounts of water compared to conventional fixtures.
"I've being doing (energy efficiency) ever since I got into business for the last 16 years," she said. "But you really had to bring the level of the homes up over the last few years even for code. But most of my homes, including this one, actually go beyond that.
"I think it's just something people expect and it's just good for the environment."
Casol also took home the award for best kitchen design project valued $30,000 and over. The kitchen's modern, walnut cross grain detail, white quartz countertops and clean, efficient design cinched the category.
Casol said she was surprised her business won when seeing the quality of this year's nominations.
"We all learn from each other in this business," she said. "Everybody's doing the best that they can do and sometimes you hit it right sometimes you don't, nevertheless you keep going out there and trying. So it's a good competition."
* Casol Designs Ltd.: Best Single Family Detached Home — under 1,500 square feet
* Copper Island Fine Homes: Best Single Family Detached Home — 1,500 to 1,999 square feet
* Timeless Developments: Best Single Family Detached Home — 2,000 to 2,499 square feet
* Hillside Contracting: Best Single Family Detached Home — 2,500 square feet and over
* Wrabel Brothers Construction: Best Single Family Detached Home — valued at $750,000 to $4 million
* Mibroc Group: Best Multi-Family Development
* B.C. Housing Management Commission: Best Affordable Housing Project
* Stoney Creek Contracting Ltd.: Best Residential Renovation — value under $75,000
* Hillside Contracting: Best Residential Renovation — value $75,000 to $199,999
* Project Green Architecture: Best Housing Design
* Casol Designs Ltd.: Best Kitchen Design Project — value $30,000 and over
* Lenna's Creative Interiors: Best Interior Design
* Stoney Creek Contracting Ltd.: Best Creation of a Unique Feature or Room Interior
* NexBuild Construction Corp.: Best Marketing Project
* Copper Island Fine Homes: Best Customer Service by CHBA CI member
* DW Builders: Fortis B.C. Building Energy Efficiency Award
* Stobbe Excavating Ltd.: Best Sub Trade
* Anchor Construction Services Ltd.: Best Supplier
* A&T Project Developments Inc.: Customer Choice Award — ( five to nine Homes)
* Sun Rivers Construction Ltd.: Customer Choice Award — (10+ Homes)