Five candidates are vying for the B.C. Liberal nomination in Shuswap.
MLA George Abbott, who has held the riding since 1996, recently announced that he will not seek re-election in next May’s provincial vote.
A candidate selection meeting is scheduled for Jan. 5, when the following candidates will face off:
* Mel Arnold: Operator of a marine and RV business in Salmon Arm, Arnold served on the B.C. Wildlife Federation for nine years and was twice elected president.
* Marty Bootsma: a former mayor of Salmon Arm, Bootsma also service on the city’s council for a dozen years.
* Will Hansma: a former five-term mayor of Spallumcheen, Hansma owns an Armstrong newspaper.
* Greg Kyllo: A councillor with the District of Sicamous, Kyllo owns Twin Anchors Marine Group, a mid-sized company with 130 full-time staff.
* Jordan Ross: A businessman and former vice-president of the Shuswap Liberal Riding Association.