Where there was smoke, there wasn’t fire.
A mid-afternoon fire alarm at the Garden View apartments on Brunner Avenue prompted the manager to evacuate the 61-unit building.
Nola Perry checked the alarm system and entered the east wing of the first floor fire doors to be faced with black greasy smoke, but initially, firefighters could find no cause in the apartments in that area.
Perry told a friend to dial 911 while she got to work helping some of the elderly tenants out of the building. Everyone was safely evacuated while firefighters checked the apartment over.
Kamloops Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Mike Adams said the building was checked over from the basement to the third floor and a grease fire was found in an apartment on the first floor.
He said the first report said there was a fire with smoke and flames, but there were no flames and much of the smoke had dissipated by the time firefighters arrived.
They went to work making sure the building was evacuated while searching for the cause of the fire, which is why it took a while to find the grease fire location.