Sun Rivers residents spent 11 hours without power Wednesday and another four hours Thursday as Corix made repairs to fix the problem.
Rick McCallum, Corix general manager for B.C., said moisture got into the primary feeder, which caused the outage. The primary feeder is the connection between B.C. Hydro and Corix.
The problem was fixed, but the feeder needed more attention as a related issue knocked out smaller parts of Sun Rivers Thursday morning.
“We know how the moisture’s getting in, but there’s still some residual. We’re putting heaters in to dry it out,” he said.
McCallum said the problem affected parts of Talasa, Canyon Ridge, Stone Ridge and Visao on Thursday morning, before the whole of Sun Rivers was shut down for repairs to be done.
The shutdown was timed after the start of a charity golf tournament teed off at 11.
“We think it’ll take about four hours,” said McCallum, who lives at Sun Rivers.
And four hours later, the work was done.
Earlier this year, Sun Rivers had two other electrical problems that were unrelated.
“These are fixable things,” he said.
Next year, power outages should be a thing of the past as Corix puts Sun Rivers on a loop system and a second feeder, said McCallum.
If the power goes out then, there is a backup system.
He said Corix will be investigating the entire system to make sure it’s stable. It will also be doing some remediation work around the primary feeder so it isn’t vulnerable to rain or snow.
The Daily News received a complaint from one Talasa resident concerning a lack of emergency lighting in the building’s hallways, stairwells and underground parking.
Sun Rivers chief executive officer Rick Siemens said the emergency lights are tested monthly and they meet all the safety standards.
“It’s only intended to last 20 minutes. It’s for fire, life and safety,” he said.
But the battery providing power to those lights would be drained after 20 or 30 minutes; there’s no way it would last for 11 hours, which is how long Wednesday’s outage was.
“The lights would have been long drained by the time people got home,” he said.
“They recharge as soon as the power comes on. When the power goes out, it trips the battery for the lights to come on.”
Siemens said there isn’t a building in Kamloops — or even Canada — with emergency lights that would stay on for 12 hours.
Anyone lighting candles to provide light during the blackout should be extra vigilant, he said.