David Andrewski, a man in his mid 50s who lived in the area all his life, died Thursday from a heroin overdose — one of a number of victims of a bad batch of the drug to hit the city.
Four other Kamloops residents have overdosed recently but survived.
Andrewski was staying at the Desert Inn on Columbia Street West. Emergency personnel were at the site Thursday morning.
Bob Hughes of ASK Wellness said he suspects the heroin was laced with a drug that makes it particularly potent.
He described Andrewski as "somebody who was very sophisticated in their use."
"We really want to put it out there: don't use alone," Hughes added.
"It definitely sends chills down our outreach teams. And behind the death of somebody who is an opiate addicted person . . . it's somebody's father, somebody's mother, somebody's child."