The City has posted a consultant's original letter about air blasts from the proposed KGHM-Ajax mine as well as his recent letter asking that it be rescinded, and his letter replacing it.
City environmental services manager Jen Fretz told council Tuesday the letter from Golder Associates was originally written in May 2013. It went into detail about air blasts from a mining operation and why they should be part of the application information requirements (AIR).
Last month, Golder wrote the City asking that the first air blast letter be rescinded to avoid potential misinterpretation from the examples included in it. A second letter was also sent that still called for air blasts to be part of the environmental assessment.
"At large receptor distances from a large blast, it is often air-blast, rather than ground vibration, that can be felt and can potentially cause distress and damage. Air-blast generated from a blast can potentially be disturbing to persons and wildlife and has the potential to initiate allegations of blasting damage from the public," wrote Golder senior geotechnical engineer Bruce Bosdet.
Fretz said all three documents are on the City's website so anyone can read the original as well as the clarified letter.
"My understanding in speaking with KGHM is they feel air blast was an important component of the environmental assessment. But there was some clarification in the environmental assessment about what was included by Golder and by KGHM," she said.
"I would suggest all parties still feel that air blast is important and needs to be included."
Coun. Nancy Bepple said she went to a KGHM information session and her understanding of the air blast issue was that it's something to be looked at but it's not something that will be causing harm.
Fretz said staff still don't know what the impacts of air blasts will be.
"There may or may not be impacts. But Golder is saying that needs to be studied and included in the assessment."
Coun. Tina Lange wondered if someone might try to sue the City over damages or distress.
Mayor Peter Milobar said the federal or provincial governments could be sued, but as the City has no authority in the mine decision, it would have no liability.
Council voted to accept the new letter.