Kamloops RCMP say an effort to extract oil from marijuana clippings was the cause of an explosion on 300-block Stevens Drive Tuesday evening that sent three people to hospital with burns and breathing problems.
A 17-year-old boy who lives at the home and a 19-year-old woman were taken to Royal Inland Hospital for treatment, along with Jonas Harvey, the man visiting a nearby friend who doused the garage fire with two extinguishers.
Cpl. Cheryl Bush said Wednesday the teenage boy's parents were not home at the time.
"Everything's still under investigation. They'll be waiting to find out what the fire investigation shows from earlier today," she said.
"There's still lots of work to be done on the file."
Police have not laid charges and a fire inspector was at the scene Wednesday.
The man who ran in to put out the fire, Jonas Harvey, said the owner of the house is in a wheelchair and has an elevator outside of the garage, which is attached to the house.
The explosion, which occurred in the crowded garage, blew out windows in the home.
Police said two youths and a young adult were using butane to get oil out of marijuana clippings and it's suspected the gas accumulated and ignited.
Harvey, who was back at work Wednesday, said he and a friend heard the explosion and ran to the scene. Some youths were trying to put out the fire with a garden hose, but he jumped in with an extinguisher.
"It was a pretty wild experience. It was put it out now or let it go."
The first extinguisher doused most of the fire, then his friend handed him a second one and he finished it off.
"The fire was inside from floor to ceiling, about nine feet high and eight feet wide. It was big. And the garage was full of junk," he said.
"All I could see in there was flames and smoke. I couldn't even see what was burning. . . . I climbed back in, climbed over the motorcycles."
Harvey was taken to RIH for treatment of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. He felt nauseous and his lungs and throat were irritated.
He saw the boy and the woman at the hospital. The boy, who had burns to his hands, needed a breathing tube as his throat was closing up, Harvey said.
Harvey spent a couple of hours at the hospital being checked over. He was deemed healthy and he walked to his downtown apartment afterward.
He came by his rescuing reflex naturally: his dad is a firefighter.