The cause of a fire that burned through a shed and forced a family of four to flee a mobile home through a window will go down as undetermined.
Dean Olstad, chief of fire prevention for Kamloops Fire Rescue, ruled out electricity as a cause and, although the occupants smoke, burn patterns suggest a cigarette didn’t spark the blaze.
But the homeowner told Olstad Thursday morning a gas can he’d placed on a shelf in the shed outside his home at the Woodland Mobile Home Park weeks ago had been moved.
“After the fire, he noticed it was in a different location,” said Olstad. “Those types of factors are a little suspicious, but I can’t prove anything.”
Neighbours told The Daily News they heard popping sounds and saw sparks as the fire began at about 10 p.m. Wednesday. Toby Carriere was afraid the flames would spread to other mobile homes and the stand of trees near her home.
“Trailers are so close together,” she said Thursday.
The flames were high enough to melt a power line and cut off power to some of the homes in the mobile home park. Carriere said the Internet went out at her home and she still couldn’t connect Thursday morning.
She’s glad firefighters prevented the blaze from threatening other homes.
Linda Dewey lives next door to where the fire started. She said a family of four lives at the mobile home but Dewey doesn’t know their names.
She said the fire was close enough to worry her, but officials didn’t order her to evacuate.
Olstad said the fire was contained to the shed. Flames spread underneath the home and the interior sustained some smoke damage.
He said the family was home when the fire started and fled through a window because flames burned at the front door.
The homeowner said he and his family are unharmed, but declined to comment further.