Tuesday September 02, 2014

subscription options

Print Edition»

  • Includes free
    digital edition
  • Digital Edition»

  • Print format with
    enhanced features!

    • What do you consider to be the 2013 Story of the Year?
    • B.C. election
    • 36%
    • TRU law school
    • 4%
    • Proposed Ajax mine
    • 43%
    • Jack Shippobotham death
    • 3%
    • Starving horses seized
    • 11%
    • Red Lake cold case
    • 3%
    • Total Votes: 1070

    Amid apparent family rift, wake held for Mary Kennedy, estranged wife of RFK Jr.

    Robert F. Kennedy Jr. leaves the Westchester County Courthouse in White Plains, N.Y., on Friday, May 18, 2012, after he and members of the Mary Richardson Kennedy family met in court to decide who would get possession of his late wife’s body. Mary Richardson Kennedy committed suicide by hanging herself on Wednesday, May 16, 2012. She was 52. ( AP Photo/The Journal News, Mark Vergari) NYC OUT, NO SALES, ONLINE OUT, TV OUT, NEWSDAY INTERNET OUT

    BEDFORD, N.Y. - The two sides of Mary Richardson Kennedy's grieving family faced off in court Friday, just hours before she was mourned at a wake at the estate where she committed suicide.

    Details of the legal dispute were sealed by a judge, but it came as the Kennedy and Richardson families were finalizing arrangements for separate memorial services for the 52-year-old architect and environmentalist, who hanged herself Wednesday. Mary and Robert Kennedy had been going through a lengthy, contested divorce.

    Mourners — so many that some had to park on nearby side streets — converged Friday evening on the brick mansion in suburban Bedford, N.Y. Floral deliveries and vans full of people arrived as two police cars were stationed at end of the long driveway, keeping reporters at a distance.

    "Everyone loved her. She was part of our family," brother-in-law Douglas Kennedy said as he left the gathering. "She was the most organized, fun-loving person. ... She loved for everyone to be together, which is what we're trying to do."

    As for the seeming rift between the families, he said only that his late sister-in-law wouldn't have wanted to see her relatives fight and added, "We're all just trying to stay together."

    Earlier in the day, Robert Kennedy declined to speak about the legal dispute after emerging from a closed court session in White Plains, saying only, "It's all done." Lawyers for Mary Kennedy's siblings also declined to comment or didn't return phone calls.

    After the legal proceedings concluded, the medical examiner's office in Westchester County received an order instructing them to release the body to a funeral home in Bedford, according to a county spokeswoman.

    Mary had been close with the Kennedy family for decades, dating back to a childhood friendship with one of Robert's sisters, Kerry Kennedy.

    One of Mary's brothers, Thomas Richardson, filed a legal motion in White Plains on Thursday listing Robert Kennedy as the defendant. The document wasn't made public and was then subsequently sealed, along with all other papers related to the case, by Judge Joan Lefkowitz.

    The court filing came on the same day that the Kennedys had announced their memorial plans for Mary, which included the wake Friday evening, a funeral Saturday morning at a Roman Catholic Church, and burial later in the day near the family's seaside compound in Hyannisport, Mass.

    Meanwhile, Mary Kennedy's siblings announced through their lawyer, Kerry Lawrence, that they were planning a memorial service in Manhattan, though they didn't say when.

    Lawrence declined to answer questions about the court filing Friday. The lawyer listed in court records as representing Thomas Richardson, Patricia Hennessey, had also served as Mary's divorce lawyer. Hennessey did not return a phone message.

    Mary Kennedy killed herself after struggling for years with depression and alcohol.

    "She struggled so hard, for so long, with mental illness, which so many Americans suffer with," Kerry Kennedy said in brief remarks to reporters Friday outside the church where the funeral was planned. "She fought with dignity, and in the end, the demons won."

    Mary and Robert, the son of assassinated U.S. senator and Attorney General Robert Kennedy, had been in divorce proceedings since 2010. The couple had been living in separate homes and had four children together.

    "We're trying to take care of Bobby and Mary's kids. That's all that anyone should be caring about," Douglas Kennedy said.

    Records in the couple's divorce case are sealed, but the public docket sheet showed that Robert Kennedy's lawyers had sought a contempt order in the case last summer, indicating a dispute between the two sides.

    American Express also sued Mary Kennedy in April, claiming she owed $32,624 in unpaid bills. Her lawyers didn't respond to inquiries about that lawsuit.


    Caruso reported from New York City.


    NOTE: To post a comment in the new commenting system you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, OpenID. You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

    The Kamloops Daily News welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

    blog comments powered by Disqus

    Sitemap / RSS   Glacier Community Media: www.glaciermedia.ca    © Copyright 2014 Glacier Community Media | User Agreement & Privacy Policy

    LOG IN

    Lost your password?