Tuesday September 02, 2014

subscription options


Print Edition»

  • Includes free
    digital edition
  • Digital Edition»

  • Print format with
    enhanced features!
  • QUESTION OF THE WEEK

    • What do you consider to be the 2013 Story of the Year?
    • B.C. election
    • 36%
    • TRU law school
    • 4%
    • Proposed Ajax mine
    • 43%
    • Jack Shippobotham death
    • 3%
    • Starving horses seized
    • 11%
    • Red Lake cold case
    • 3%
    • Total Votes: 1070





    Afghan police arrest 6 suspected suicide bombers, seize explosive vests and weapons in Kabul

    KABUL - Afghan police on Sunday arrested six men and seized suicide vests, assault rifles and more than 50 hand grenades during a raid on a residential building in central Kabul, senior officials said.

    Kabul Police Chief Gen. Mohammad Ayub Salangi said an investigation was under way to determine the identities of the men he described as "terrorists" and what they were planning to attack.

    The raid comes as British Prime Minister David Cameron meets in London with the presidents of Afghanistan and Pakistan to discuss prospects for peace talks with the Taliban. Cameron initiated the meetings with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari last year to boost co-operation among the countries and promote regional stability.

    The talks, on Sunday and Monday, are expected to focus on preventing a Taliban resurgence in Afghanistan when British, American and other NATO troops withdraw from the country by the end of next year. Downing Street said the trilateral meeting will include Afghan and Pakistani army and intelligence chiefs for the first time.

    Deputy Kabul Police Chief Daud Amin said police discovered the explosive vests and at least 55 hand grenades among other weapons in the house.

    Recently, teams of Taliban suicide bombers carried out two spectacular attacks in central Kabul.

    On Jan. 21, five Taliban suicide bombers attacked the traffic police headquarters, killing three policemen and wounding at least 30 people. All five attackers were killed in a nine-hour gun battle. That attack came less than a week after six Taliban suicide bombers attacked the gates of the Afghan intelligence service, killing one guard and wounding dozens.

    In other violence, an Afghan government official said a roadside bomb killed a family of five, including two young children, on Saturday night in southern Afghanistan. The administrator for Miyanishin district in Helmand province, Shah Mahmood Shafa, said the family was driving through the district when their car hit the bomb.

    ___

    Associated Press writers Mirwais Khan in Kandahar and Patrick Quinn in Kabul contributed to this report.


    Comments


    NOTE: To post a comment in the new commenting system you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, OpenID. You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

    The Kamloops Daily News welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

    blog comments powered by Disqus



    Sitemap / RSS   Glacier Community Media: www.glaciermedia.ca    © Copyright 2014 Glacier Community Media | User Agreement & Privacy Policy

    LOG IN



    Lost your password?