Monday September 01, 2014

subscription options


Print Edition»

  • Includes free
    digital edition
  • Digital Edition»

  • Print format with
    enhanced features!
  • QUESTION OF THE WEEK

    • What do you consider to be the 2013 Story of the Year?
    • B.C. election
    • 36%
    • TRU law school
    • 4%
    • Proposed Ajax mine
    • 43%
    • Jack Shippobotham death
    • 3%
    • Starving horses seized
    • 11%
    • Red Lake cold case
    • 3%
    • Total Votes: 1070





    Home »  News »  National News

    Government to appeal court ruling that Metis, other natives are 'Indian'

    OTTAWA - The federal government will appeal a landmark Federal Court ruling which would vastly expand the ranks of people considered Indians under the Constitution.

    After more than 13 years of legal wrangling, the court ruled last month that Metis and non-status Indians are indeed "Indians" under a section of the Constitution Act, and therefore fall under federal jurisdiction.

    On Wednesday, Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan told the House of Commons that the ramifications of the decision demand a ruling from a higher judicial authority.

    "Given that the Federal Court decision raises complex legal issues, it is prudent for Canada to obtain a decision from a higher court," Duncan said.

    "After careful consideration of the decision, Canada has filed an appeal, and it would be inappropriate to comment further as the case is before the courts."

    Among other things, Duncan said, the services provided to Aboriginal Peoples by the federal government have to be affordable.

    "The Harper government continues to work in partnership with aboriginal organizations and provincial governments to enhance the economic opportunities for Metis and non-status Indians," he said.

    "Our government must ensure that programs and services to Aboriginal Peoples are fiscally sustainable."

    The case dragged on for years before the ruling last month.

    The Congress of Aboriginal Peoples and several Metis and non-status Indians took the federal government to court in 1999, alleging discrimination because they were not considered "Indians" under a section of the Constitution Act.

    The congress expressed disappointment Wednesday in the government's decision to challenge the ruling.

    "I have to say that I am truly disappointed, but at the same time not surprised," said National Chief Betty Ann Lavallee.

    "This decision comes at the expense of Metis and non-status Indians, who for far too long have been the 'Forgotten Peoples' of Canada struggling for recognition of their constitutional rights, equality, dignity, self-worth and fairness."

    The federal government has been trying to have the case thrown out since it was first launched in 1999, she added.

    "We anticipated that this struggle would continue, and we remain confident and committed in our position."


    Comments


    NOTE: To post a comment in the new commenting system you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, OpenID. You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

    The Kamloops Daily News welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

    blog comments powered by Disqus



    Sitemap / RSS   Glacier Community Media: www.glaciermedia.ca    © Copyright 2014 Glacier Community Media | User Agreement & Privacy Policy

    LOG IN



    Lost your password?