Fire destroys homes in Chase trailer park

'There were flames shooting out the back. It was crazy'

A contractor worked Friday morning to restore power to homes following a blaze at Whispering Pines mobile home park in Chase that consumed two units.

Brent Chamberlain, chief of the Chase volunteer fire department, said the bulk of the crew was back at the hall before midnight. A call came in to the fire department about 5:30 p.m. Thursday.

Firefighters contained the blaze to two units, which were destroyed. A third had melted siding from the heat.

Three firefighters were taken to Royal Inland Hospital for observation over concerns about heat stroke. Chamberlain said all three returned home several hours later.

Firefighters don't know the cause of the blaze. An investigator is expected to sift through the charred remains in the next several days.

The trailer park is at the east side of the village near the Catholic Church.

"It looked like an inferno," said Gary Welch on Thursday evening. He had followed his son Jaxon down to the source of the flames.

Jaxon beat the volunteer firefighters to the scene, shooting 13 minutes of video.

"There were flames shooting out the back," Gary said. "It was crazy."

Chamberlain said no one was home at Unit #48. Neighbors reported the owner left soon before the call came in at about 5:30 p.m.

"Black smoke was showing and the trailer was fully involved. . . . When we got here there were explosions going on."

After speaking with the homeowner, Chamberlain said he believes it's likely those blasts were caused by paint cans or other flammables as the blaze consumed the home and the entire rear of a unit beside it.

Mayor Ron Anderson said the village opened up the community hall for emergency food and shelter services for any residents who could not return home.

The volunteer department managed to contain the blaze to just the two units in the densely packed trailer park. A house on a suburban street behind was also within metres of the flames.

Neighbour Jon Brown said he looked out his window and saw smoke billowing from the trailers, with flames two to three metres high.

"It spread pretty fast," he said. "We got our stuff ready to go just in case."

© Copyright 2018 Kamloops Daily News