Inept home invader 'hit like a girl'

Merritt woman tells court about 'gun guy,' 'Taser guy' and 'zap-strap guy'

A Merritt woman who worked as a carpenter, rounded up horses and sold pot described for a B.C. Supreme Court jury how she was able to fight off three bumbling home invaders in October 2010.

Rayella Parr, who stands four feet nine inches, is the Crown's main witness in the trial of three men accused of invading Parr's home.

Andrew Owusu, Fred Agbefe and Agazzy Haddish are all charged with unlawfully being in a home, use of an imitation firearm, unlawful confinement and assault.

Haddish is also charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and flight from police from events the same day.

The three were characterized by Crown lawyer Neil Flanagan as "gun guy," "Taser guy" and "zap-strap guy" for their alleged roles in the incident nearly three years ago at an up-and-down duplex in the Nicola Valley city.

The home had a small safe inside, where Parr told the court she put anything of value, including marijuana, to keep it out of the hands of one of her grown sons, who was a crack cocaine addict.

Parr testified Wednesday she was watching television and having a coffee on a Monday morning when she heard a knock on her front door.

After yelling from her couch for the visitor to come in, a black man about 40 years old walked in clad in overalls, hardhat and high-visibility safety vest.

"He said he was from B.C. Gas, there was a gas leak in the area and he would check my meter," Parr told the 12-person jury.

But several details didn't seem right to Parr: he had a hoodie pulled up over his hardhat and he had an electrical-testing device in his hand.

"I couldn't figure out why he would be testing for gas with an electrical tester."

Two other, younger black males then walked in - both with hoodies over their hardhats.

"WCB (WorkSafeBC) doesn't tolerate that. It seemed odd."

Parr said when she looked back at the first visitor, he had what she first thought was a gas sniffer but quickly realized was a handgun.

"'I said you have the wrong house,'" Parr said she told the three.

One of them replied, "'No we don't.'"

Parr said the incident took about two minutes in total. Her boyfriend was in the shower and a friend had just gone downstairs.

She testified "gun guy" told one of the two others to tie her up. But he placed the zap straps the wrong way, twice, as she fought back.

"Zap-strap guy" then punched her in the face.

"He punched like a girl," she said. "I felt it but it didn't really hurt."

Parr said the first intruder then told the third man to Taser her, but the device did not work.

She said her dog, Taz, entered the room from outside. At first, the wolf-husky cross simply stood and cocked its head, frightening one of the two. "Gun guy" told his accomplice to ignore the dog and duct tape her hands.

But the dog went behind one of them and bit.

"Taser guy screamed and ran for the door."

"Gun guy" was behind him, she said.

At that point Parr said she delivered a kick to "zap-strap guy's" groin, so hard it knocked him over. She expected him to vomit as he lay on the floor.

Instead, he jumped up "like a jackrabbit" to follow his two accomplices out the door, she said.

The trial is scheduled to continue Thursday.

© Copyright 2018 Kamloops Daily News